August 4th, 2014:
Magic was purchased in the fall of 2010. The boat was in the harbor at Rockport Maine. The previous owner had the boat for 10 years and was out of Portsmouth, but I believe she cruised primarily the Maine coast for most of her life not far from where she was built in Boothbay.
The boat had several cracked ribs mid-ship. That was known before the boat was purchased and upon further inspection we found rot in the horn timber, where the rudder post passes through the timber at the water line(common in these vintage boats but unknown to me at the time.)
I had Rockport Marine, steam bend and sister in 6, 2 inch, white oak frames mid-ship. They also replaced an old wykoff mechanical winch and cable main halyard with a cable/rope main halyard on a bronze harken self tailing winch for safety and convenience. I still have the old winch and cable for posterity.
Having that accomplished we trucked the boat in from Maine where we spent the winter assessing priorities and soon realized the horn timber would have to be replaced and the boat would not make the summer season in 2011. Wayne Shibley did the work. We ordered a log of Angelique, squared and cut from the Gannon and Benjamen yard in Martha’s Vineyard. The wood is from a sustainable cut from Surinam and has better strength and rot characteristics than Oak. While Oak would be the traditional wood we thought it may take more time and expense to locate a suitable clear log of Oak so it was easier to source from a known stock at G&B.
The horn timber is a structural beam that holds up the back of the boat beyond the keel and “dead wood”. An extension of the keel that gives the long over hang of this vintage of boat. The boat is also double planked with white cedar and 1 ¼ inc mahogany. So to remove the timber we had to open up the back bottom of the boat, removed the old horn timber rudder post and dead wood. We made patterns from the original pieces and planks, fashioned the new rudder post, dead wood and horn timber and replaced. New planking was replaced or scarfed into the lower back have of the hull from mid ship back to the stern. Care was taken to plug and re drill fasteners into original timbers and ribs, using bronze screws of the same size #14’s I believe. Stop waters were replaced etc.
We inspected and replaced the shaft bearing and machined and balanced the drive shaft and replaced the drive boot. During this time the diesel fuel tank and engine were removed. A leak from the in bound plumbing was fixed on the diesel tank. The tank was pressure tested and cleaned and was in good shape. The motor was fine, the heat exchanger was cleaned and inspected. The exchanger takes in sea water and sometimes the inter honeycomb of pipe can corrode or clog from salt but it was clean and not a problem. A fuel sender was replaced, and the fuel bulb/water separator filter was remounted and replaced. The motor should be in good working order. The batteries are in there second season.
Also, during 2011 the outside cabin trunk was stripped of varnish and sanded down to the wood. The lexan (plexi glass) windows vintage 1980 were replaced with a light tinted safety glass and reset. The corners of the cabin trunk trim were removed and reset all to stop water intrusion. All were reset with natural seal. It’s a traditional compound that works well and is easy to remove if you ever have to reset again. (Unlike epoxy.)
I removed most of the bronze fittings, turnbuckles, ventilators. They were sea green from many years in the salt air. I had (progressive bronze) here in Chicago repair and buff to a spit shine and are now burnishing down to a typical brown bronze patina.
In addition to this I removed all the interior cabin doors and hardware and had them stripped and painted. There was a bronze sconce missing that progressive bronze was able to recast in bronze, so all six match and are original design to the boat.
The electronics and lights all work. The radar dome I removed when we refinished the mizzen, but I believe will work. There is also a self tillering system that the previous owner was tinkering with. But I believe he said the electric cylinder that drives the tiller was over powering the circuit. If you were serious about single handing it would be a neat thing. I have all the components, and the installation is already done but you need to hook up and power properly.
In winter of 2013 we refastened the fore foot, plugging old holes, re drilling and replacing with new screws (same size) and re-bunged. This completed refastening of the bottom of the boat below the water line perhaps over kill as we found very few spinners.
I also stripped and varnished hand rails on the forward cabin. We installed an original spec tiny tot wood stove. There is a beautiful mahogany drop leaf table for the cabin that is removed. I like the open space but it can easily be put back.
The head is a new jabsco and the plumbing was done to conform with inland lake code.
It has been an interesting project and we have enjoyed sailing it along the Chicago water front out of Belmont harbor. The boat moves easily in light air and will sail close to wind with the center board down, and closely hauled. The boat was designed to beat the rules of the day for the CCA, and has several badges mounted in the cabin header to prove her speed. “middletown yacht club races 1st place 1961,62 and 1963.”